Kentucky Bluegrass

Kentucky Bluegrass ( Poa pratensis) research by Zach

I decided to chose this type of grass because I knew that we had some in our area. The name also appealed to me when I was deciding which plant species to pick. I don’t think that I will see a lot of it a the refuge because of the forest terrain, but there might be patches of it here and there so I will definitely keep my eyes peeled.

Description:

Kentucky Bluegrass grows any where from 18 to 24 inches tall. New shoots, which are rhizomes and tillers, are produced mostly in the spring and late summer. Although more shoots are produced in the short days of early spring than the long days in summer.

The wildlife that eats Kentucky bluegrass is elk, mule deer, and big horn sheep. It is important winter forage grass for these animals in the west.

Cottontail rabbit, wild turkey, and prairie chickens consume the seeds and leaves of Kentucky Bluegrass. In the mountain meadows of Oregon pocket gopher, mice and Colombian ground squirrel all feed off of the dominant Kentucky bluegrass.

Facts:

• During the late spring and summer the shoots grow straight up and down.
  • In the early spring and fall the shoots become more flimsy.
  • In the southern U.S. Kentucky Bluegrass is limited to the transition zone
  • In western states this grass is grown with irrigation.
  • Many birds eat the seeds of  Kentucky Blue Grass, including wild turkey, ducks, geese, Northern  Bobwhite, sparrows, and doves.

3 responses so far

3 Responses to “Kentucky Bluegrass”

1.   Mr Oon 22 Apr 2010 at 7:52 pm     1

Zach your last statement is a good one to reflect on as it speaks to the consideration of if this plant is native to this area.

2.   kaylaecology1on 28 Apr 2010 at 11:35 am     2

zach this is very gu should change youood information. maybe yor bullets to a different thing because it matches the desk top. keep up the good work. :)

3.   allisonecology1on 30 Apr 2010 at 11:08 am     3

Zach,
    Zach, Zach, Zach. Kentucky Bluegrass. Why is it called that? You might want to figure that out and then put it with the little facts you have. I mean, did they discover it in Kentucky? Were they on something when they saw it and thought it was blue? That’s all :) Keep up the swell work!

Trackback URI | Comments RSS